The original Samba packages are the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and Unix. A variety of features are built into SAMBA+ software packages that differs them from those that come with the various Linux flavors:
- SAMBA+ provides security fixed packages by the same day. When the Samba team provides security patches, Linux distros usually provide new packages within a few days. SAMBA+ packages are updated the same day when security flaws become public, eg. Badlock or SambaCry.
- SAMBA+ is always the newest Samba for Enterprise Linux. Shortly after the Samba team releases a new version of Samba, SerNet publishes SAMBA+ for all respective platforms: Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS, SLES, openSUSE Leap. All sources under maintenance at Samba.TEAM are also available as SAMBA+ packages for current Linux versions, even older versions no longer supported by their distribution.
- SAMBA+ introduces an Active Directory domain controller to RHEL and SLES. Samba packages provided by Red Hat do not support a domain controller setup in RHEL. The same applies to SLES, which can be enabled to be an AD domain controller with SAMBA+.
- SAMBA+ supports most recent Active Directory features in mixed environments. Active Directory is the most important authentication and identity management system in Windows networks. (Please note that SAMBA+ and SSSD cannot be installed on the same machine. Refer to more information in the FAQ.)
- SAMBA+ servers can work as a cluster. Support for GlusterFS and GPFS support is built in. GlusterFS is an OpenSource scale-out network-attached storage file system, and GPFS is IBM's proprietary clustered file system.
- SAMBA+ packages originate from one source package and are subject to the same quality assurance. By this "one source policy" SAMBA+ behaves almost identical across different platforms. This is why SAMBA+ is a lot easier to deploy, configure and maintain. Other Samba packages shipped directly with Debian, RHEL or others deviate in age the most, but also in feature sets and interoperability.
- SAMBA+ is compiled from source with respect to stability and performance. Over 20 years of experience with Samba makes SerNet the most experienced Samba company world wide. SAMBA+ is the right choice for an SMB stack in productive environments.
Appliance vendors and cloud service providers may also consider to integrate Samba as SMB / CIFS stack into their products and services. Read about good reasons to do so on SAMBA+ OEM.