Where is the SAMBA+ configuration file (smb.conf)?
There are different roles Samba can adapt to and the configuration depends very much on this role. That's why we currently do provide example configuration files for these roles and do not put a complete smb.conf file in place. Please note that the Samba daemons won't start without a configuration file. So you need to copy one of the examples to /etc/samba/smb.conf before starting the services and adapt it to your setup.
The following example files are available:
- /etc/samba/smb.conf.README: Some important information and contact address.
- /etc/samba/smb.conf.member: Sample configuration file for a SAMBA+ AD member server.
- /etc/samba/smb.conf.standalone: Sample configuration file for a SAMBA+ standalone server.
- /etc/samba/smb.conf.ad: When setting up a SAMBA+ AD DC, the smb.conf file will be autogenerated by the 'samba tool domain provision' command. So you don't need to copy this file.
Please see the HowTo for details on the configuration and possible roles.
Samba is not running after installing the SAMBA+ packages. Why?
Samba can be run in different server modes. That's why you need to specify the role of your server before being able to start the daemon(s). This mode needs to be set with the "SAMBA_START_MODE" variable in the /etc/default/sernet-samba file. The following values are available:
- classic: Run Samba as a fileserver and start the classic smbd, nmbd, winbindd daemons.
- ad: Run Samba as an Active Directory server (samba daemon, starts the smbd, winbindd and integrated services on its own).
Additionally, you need to create the config file /etc/samba/smb.conf. After that you can start the daemon(s).
Can SAMBA+ and SSSD be installed on the same system?
Yes. You can use sssd and sernet-samba together, but you cannot install the sssd-ad package (which does not make sense together with winbindd anyway). The sssd package is a meta package that requires all sssd packages, so please go ahead with the sssd-common and the desired sssd-($backend) packages only instead of the sssd package.
SAMBA+ does not support dmapi. Can I re-build with dmapi support?
Dmapi stands for Data Management API (DMAPI) interface for Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM).
SAMBA+ >= 4.4.3 packages do not support dmapi any longer. To re-build with dmapi support, the following commands can be run:
apt-get build-dep sernet-samba apt-get source sernet-samba cd samba-$VERSION/ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=dmapi debuild -us -uc
zypper source-install sernet-samba rpmbuild -ba --with dmapi /usr/src/packages/SPECS/sernet-samba-4.4.spec
yumdownloader --source sernet-samba #yum-builddep sernet-samba-$VERSION.src.rpm #Please install the dependencies manually, because yum-builddep #does not work properly here. rpmbuild --rebuild --with dmapi sernet-samba-$VERSION.src.rpm
This will also build the tsmsm VFS module.
How to enable Spotlight Support?
SAMBA+ ships Spotlight as a RPC module. For more information on setting up Spotlight, please see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight.