Volker Lendecke, SerNet co-founder and long-time Samba Team member, was once again a speaker at SDC EMEA. At this year’s conference (February 4, 2020 – Tel Aviv, Israel) he specifically addressed integrators who want to use Samba. The recording is available on YouTube: https://youtu.be/RHHsTfKmI_c (direct link).
Lendecke deals with these points in his lecture "Samba for integrators":
- Samba architecture:
- What components does Samba consist of?
- What protocols does Samba implement?
- What process model does Samba utilize?
- Samba SMB server:
- What file system features does Samba expect?
- Common complications and performance issues
- Samba features for NFS interoperability
- Samba authentication:
- Overview of authentication mechanisms in the Active Directory world
- The role of Samba's winbind daemon: Authentication and idmapping
- Winbind API and services for non-Samba SMB servers
- Samba Remote Procedure Call services:
- Requirements for seamless Windows interop beyond SMB
- Protocol description for RPC services (direct TCP, named pipes)
- Samba components that help non-Samba SMB servers